Research Professor, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana, Center of International Relations, Adviser at the Institute of Macroeconomic Analysis and Development, Ljubljana (part-time)
Metka Stare has been in the service research for over 25 years, starting with the PhD dissertation that referred to broader dimensions of international trade in producer services and their development implications. Afterwards, the scope of her research work has broadened to include the transformation of services development in the transition economies, in particular of knowledge-based services. Inspired by the membership in the RESER community and research of some RESER scholars she engaged in the research of the innovation potential of services, barriers to service innovation in transition economies and factors that influence innovation policy, focused on public-private innovation networks as a mechanism for generating service innovation. Recently, the focus of her study and analysis is the integration of services in global value chains and the role of services in a circular economy.
RESER President, 2008-2012
- Innovation and services, innovation policy
- Transformation of services transition economies
- Global value chains and services internationalisation
- Innovation ecosystems in tourism
- Knowledge co-creation between research and business sphere
- Circular economy and the role of services
International Research Projects
- FP7- SIMPATIC, Social Impact Policy Analysis of Technological Innovation Challenges, 2012-2015.http://simpatic.eu/
- FP7-SERVPPIN, »The Contribution of Public and Private Services to European Growth and Welfare, and the Role of Public –Private Innovation Networks«, 2008-2011. http://www.servppin.com/
- EC/JRC-ICEG, Factors and Impacts in the Information Society- A Prospective Analysis in the Candidate Countries, 2003-2004.
- PHARE/ACE: EU-integration driven investment networking: Outward foreign direct investment of candidate countries, 2001-2002.
- EU, DG Enterprise, INNO-99-02: Innovation Policy in the Six Applicant Countries, 2000-2001.
- Member of High Level Economic Policy Expert Group of DG RTD Innovation for Growth (i4g) (2011- 2014) and Research, Innovation and Science Policy Experts (RISE) High Level Group (HLG) at DG RTD (2014 – 2016)
- Member of European Services Innovation Think Tank, INNO-Nets- EPISIS- European Policies and Instruments to Support Innovation in Service, 2009-2012.
- European Commission, UNCTAD, UN/Economic Commission for Europe, OECD
Selected recent references
- Stare, M., Križaj, D. (2018). Crossing the frontiers between touch points, innovation and experience design in tourism. In Ada Scupola and Lars Fuglsang (eds), Integrated Crossroads of Service, Innovation and Experience Research-Emerging and Established Trends, Routledge. (forthcoming).
- Stare, M. (2016). Multidimensional role of services in global value chains: implications for theory and practice. European review of service economics and management, ISSN 2497-0107, 2016, [Vol.] 2, no. 2, pp. 43-66.
- Stare, M., Damijan, J. (2015). Do innovation spillovers impact employment and skill upgrading? Service Industries Journal, vol. 35, no.13, pp. 728- 745.
- Di Meglio, G., Stare, M., Maroto Sanchez, A., Rubalcaba- Bermejo, L. (2015). Public services performance: an extended framework and empirical assessment across the enlarged EU. Environment and planning. C, Government and policy, Pion Ltd, London, Vol. 32(2), pp. 321-341.
- Gallouj, F., Weber, M., Stare, M., Rubalcaba- Bermejo, L. (2015). The futures of the service economy in Europe: a foresight analysis. Technological forecasting and social change, [Online ed.], May 2015, vol. 94, pp. 80-96. doi: 1016/j.techfore.2014.06.009.
- Stare, M., Bučar, M., Udovič, B. (2014). Soustvarjanje znanja med javnimi raziskovalnimi organizacijami in gospodarstvom za povečanje konkurenčnosti (Co-creation of knowledge between public research organisations and the business sector). IB revija, Vol. 48, no. 3/4, pp. 53-59.
- Damijan, J., Kostevc, Č., Stare, M. (2014). Technological and non-technological innovation in services: effects on employment and skills. In: 24th Annual RESER Conference, September 11-13, 2014, Helsinki, Finland. Book of abstracts, p. 131.
- Mohnen, P., Stare, M. (2013). The notion of inclusive innovation. In: Wobbe, W. (ed.). Inclusive innovation and service innovation. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, pp. 11-18.
- Stare, M., Gallouj, F. (2013). Seizing the opportunities of service innovation. In: Wobbe, W. (ed.), Inclusive innovation and service innovation. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, pp.61-75.
- Bučar, M., Stare, M., JAKLIČ, A. (2013). Weak institutional framework as incentive for service innovation networks: focus on knowledge-intensive business services. In: Gallouj, F., Rubalcaba-Bermejo, L., Windrum, P. (eds). Public-private innovation networks in services. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, pp. 326-348.
- Stare, M., Silva e Meirelles, D., Santos, A. M. (2012), Tapping the innovation potential of knowledge intensive services in emerging economies. International Journal of Service technology Management, vol. 18, no. 3/4, pp. 204-223.
- Di Meglio, G., Stare, M., Jaklič, A. (2012), Explanation for public and private service growth in the enlarged EU. Service Industries Journal, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 503-514.
- Bučar, M., Rojec, M., Stare, M. (2012), Backward FDI linkages as a channel for transferring technology and building innovation capability : the case of Slovenia. Hveem, H., Knutsen, C. H. (eds.). Governance and knowledge : the politics of foreign investment, technology and ideas, (Routledge/GARNET series, Europe in the world, 18). London; New York: Routledge, pp. 218-237.
- Stare, M. (2012), Slovenia. In Kuusisto, J. (ed.). Service innovation policy benchmarking : synthesis of results and 15 country reports : final report of Task Force 6. Helsinki: Tekes.
- Stare, M., and Jaklic A. (2011), Towards explaining growth of private and public services in the emerging market economies, Amfiteatru econ., June 2011, vol. 13, no. 30, pp. 581-598.
- Daniels, P. W., Rubalcaba, L., Stare, M., Bryson, J. R.(2011), How many Europes? : varieties of capitalism, divergence and convergence and the transformation of the European services landscape. Tijdschr. econ. soc. geogr., vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 146-161.
- Burger, A., Stare, M. (2010). Public and private services transformation in the CEEC, Service Industries Journal, 2010, vol. 30, no. 3/4, pp. 479-496.
- Stare, M., Jaklic, A. and Burger, A. (2010). Catching up and determinants of services growth in new member states, (Electronic book series CIR analyses). Ljubljana: Faculty of Social Sciences, 2010. ISBN 978-961-235-396-4. http://www.mednarodni-odnosi.si/cmo/CIR/CIR3StareJaklicBurger.pdf
- LÉO, P.Y., Philippe, J., Monnoyer, M.C., Camacho, J.A., Navarro, J.L. and Stare, M. (2010). -Services et hautes qualifications, un nouveau défi pour le développement des villes moyennes, together with Économies et sociétés, Série Économie et gestion des services, fév. 2010, no. 11, pp. 139-172.